Monday, April 11, 2011

April Fun in the Sun!













"Good night, Mommy!" says Ashlyn as she climbs into bed.
"Good night, Ash! I had fun with you this weekend," I respond, tucking her in.
Six hundred miles traversed over a weekend's time allowed for just as many stories and memories to create. Where to begin...
We arrived into Medford Friday night. I would be running the Pear Blossom Run (10 mi.) the next morning. My mother had made a special trip the run office to see if there were any cancellations for the 5K to get Matt registered in on the action. We were in luck--she signed him up! So, Matt would run the 5K at 7:00 a.m.; my race would start at 8:20. Italian food for dinner to load up on the carbs for the next day!
6:20 alarm. "Ashlyn, sweet girl, time to wake up!" Grunt-grunt as she roles over trying to ignore me. (She is not a morning person!) The carrot, she would get to watch her daddy run in a race. She was so excited! Thirty-four degrees, and we are all bundled up for a crisp but clear morning. Gun sound, and the runners are off! We are right there ready to greet him 23 quick minutes later at the finish line. He rocked it--55th (out of 1700) across the finish line, 5th for his age division! Awesome run, Matt!
My run would begin 30 minutes later... I will say, I was a little jealous that Matt was already finished. What am I doing here?--I paid money for this? ...Nerves and adrenaline. The gun sounded, and 1700 runners and walkers start! My goal, 1 hour 20 min.--my finish time exactly! (I finished 85th female out of 800, 14th for my age group.) It was a beautiful but tough run!
Ashlyn and my Mom were great spectators, but Ash was finished! Tired from her early alarm and ready to go!

The next 24 hours included more Pear Blossom festivities with Mom and Herman and his family. The kids rode ponies, had snacks, danced to the live music, etc. Ashlyn listened and danced to Opa while he played German music for her. We finished the night with delicious German food in Jacksonville, Oregon.

What a great trip for sure! We had so much fun with my family! Hopefully, this is just the start to Matt's running races with me... please, please. :)

No comments: