Monday, October 4, 2010

Fall Frenzy




When school started 4 weeks ago, I came to the realization that my life is full time without work (teaching), that having another job with many other responsibilities makes me crazy! How do people keep it together? I know, it seems like I am new to both professions--no, actually I am not--and that I should, by now, be prepared for the madness that happens known as the "dreaded SEPTEMBER." July and August stroll by like the fairways on a golf course or the mallards at the park; September is Bolt's 100--started and over in seconds! Really.

But, it's not so bad actually. We've already enjoyed a weekend on the Oregon Coast with the Maffia's and Ridgeway's, Oktoberfest in Mt. Angel, a new middle school for Lane, 110 new high school students for me, and two amazing life celebrations--Grandma Eleanor from Harlowton, MT, and Great Aunt Audrey from Tacoma, WA. We have so many blessings and gifts in our lives.

Lane has adjusted to his new life: middle school. Six different teachers, math and health homework every night, piano lessons weekly, workouts with his basketball team, new friends, more cute girls, (the challenges of having a 2-year old sister who wants to do EVERYTHING he is doing), etc. I think he's doing well despite all of the changes. He gets up and out of the house on his own every morning to catch the bus (and has only left all the lights and TV on once.) Whew! He's pretty responsible and in all advanced classes. His favorite course, Home Ec--who would've known. So, now I he enjoys working through recipes with me and is getting quite good. Of course, he's working toward being a "self manager" again with good grades and no tardies. So far, so good for middle school.

Ashlyn is totally involved in pre-preschool. She loves to interact in the letters, numbers, shapes, and calendar lessons. More animated now than ever, she sings like crazy-- "A, B, C Song," "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" and her own authentic song about mom's "Blue Car...." Cute, for sure! When she is not being cute, she created her own game called "HDCIB" or "How Defiant Can I Be?" Entertaining for her, I'm sure, she runs down the street to get us to chase her or runs the opposite direction from us at the park when trying to leave or throws herself on the floor in a fit and about two-hundred other difficult-to-manage, 2-year old behaviors. Parenting a toddler is tough work and involves many over-time hours. I know, this stage will pass.

Like Lane, Matthew is enjoying middle school too. He's has several assignments this year including disciplining the school's most notorious clients. I'm guessing he handles them quite well. Additionally, he serves on 162 committees and will also co-coach Lane's fall basketball team. His toughest job, however, was saying goodbye to Grandma Eleanor in Montana. She left us on Sept. 26, and we all know she is happier now. Matt was able to spend some quality time with the family over the weekend to celebrate her 91 years.

I really have no complaints. My sophomore students are brilliant, my juniors wonderful as well. I have another job this year dealing with college and career portfolio building here at Westview-- (that basically means I get to attend some meetings, pretend I know what I'm doing, and then try and get other teachers care about career planning for students.) When I leave each day, I get to feel the sunshine--seeing my children smile, laugh, say "Good night" and "I Love You." What could be better?

Until next time...

No comments: